Imagine Your Child 4 or 5 Years From Now
You’ve enrolled your child in our school now what will he be like in 4 or 5 years
when he earns his black belt?
• The steady diet of making life or death decisions has spurred them to act
with courage, courtesy, integrity, humility and self-control in all situations.
• They’re well rounded in their studies and personality.
• They can think on their feet better than others.
• They’re quick to identify problems and holes in arguments.
• Their training has given them an advantage in dealing with their peers.
• Their decision to… seek to perfect their character… has propelled them to
success in school.
• They have a strong sense of themselves and have a high level of confidence
in what they say and do.
• They got this way from repeatedly forming and articulating their own
• They stand talk and walk with a sense of purpose.
• When introducing themselves to others they look them in the eye, extend
their hand, and speak in a clear voice.
• They’re polite, confident and self-assured.
• Upon seeing them people get the sense that they are not someone to be
• When you talk to them you know that their complete attention is on you
and understanding what you have to say.
• When they say they’ll do something they do it. It doesn’t matter how much
harder it is to do than they thought – they said they would do it, so they do
• Whining and complaining is not an option with them.
• They’ll quickly assess a situation and do what in their heart they know has
to be done, even if no one else is doing it.
• They know they’re only as good as their word.
• They know that setting and keeping high standards for themselves is
what’s going to make them sleep easy at night.
• They’re a good man or woman and would make any parent proud to call
Marty Callahan has spent his life understanding and improving the lives of students both young and old. His passion led to the founding of Shotokan Karate Leadership School in Santa Rosa, CA in 1981 with a dream to awaken the extraordinary leader in his students. Having inspired, taught, coached, supported, and trained over 15,000 students in 40,000 classes in Santa Rosa, Marty has become Sonoma County’s preeminent martial arts leadership instructor. His students, hundreds of whom have gone on to become leaders in their chosen fields, appreciate his engaging, student centered approach to teaching and they believe you will too.